Self Reflection & "A"ccountability
As in water, face reflects face, so the heart of man reflects man. Prov. 27:19
Plato, in his Apology, wrote, "The life which is unexamined is not worth living"
I encourage everyone to take the time to examine your life. Where are you now compared to last year or 5 years ago; where do you want to be next year, or in 3 years. Then WELCOME the input of wise friends; remember, Trustworthy are the bruises caused by the wounding of one who loves you, but deceitful are the kisses of one who hates you. Prov 27:6 [according to the original Hebrew text]
The most important factor in living up to your full potential is WHO is your "wise" counsel. Who are you running with? If you are going to be around turkeys, never expect yourself to fly. Find the eagles and allow "iron to sharpen iron". However, before you pull out your sword ONE thing is an absolute prerequisite! LOVE.
Not everyone has a right to speak in to your life & not every rebuke is valid. "A love relationship based on time spent together and a deep knowledge of each other, provides the oil rebukes need in order for them to be accepted." Charles Swindoll. If you think you know what is best for a person, but have never taken the time to REALLY get to know them or their family.. then keep your rebuke to yourself. No matter what your title or vast knowledge, your rebuke will come off as condemnation NOT edification. No matter how "right" you may be, never forget that the accuser of the brethren could even use YOUR tongue for his own agenda.
From my experience, the hardest thing about accountability & self reflection is the humility involved. You have to completely empty yourself of yourself, and be willing to be wrong. Ouch. Every time pride tries to grow inside of me, I find myself completely and utterly humiliated. Now I am learning to nip it in the bud. It is to my great advantage that I am kept constantly aware of how weak I can be and to keep my hands empty... for only HIM to fill.
Treasures
One by one God took them from me,
All the things I valued most,
Till I was empty-handed;
Every glittering toy was lost.
And I walked earth's highway, grieving.
In my rags and poverty.
Till I heard His voice inviting
"Lift your empty hands to Me!"
So I turned my hands toward heaven,
And He filled them with a store
Of His own transcendent riches
Till they could contain no more.
And at last I comprehended
With my stupid mind and dull,
That God could not pour His riches
Into hands already full!
~Martha Snell Nicholson
Too often during these empty, lowly times in life, the open invitation of "well meaning" bench warmers is sent out. These are the ones who sit from the side lines and critique the lives of those actually engaged in battle. There is nothing more frustrating than listening to criticism behind the cold keys of someone who only knows by THEORY what is right or wrong for you. This person has no clue what it could possibly be like in your shoes; or worse yet, one who HAS had the mishap of walking on your road but learned NOTHING but fear and doubt and wishes to contaminate you with it. From such as this, I suggest you keep your distance.
Find someone who reflects the life and manner you wish to have in your 5 year goal, and be INTENTIONAL. Contact them, speak to them, learn from them. Pay attention to HOW they think and HOW they grow and allow yourself to follow a good example. It is not about finding an icon, but rather finding a mentor. We all need one. We all need to be one.
As in water, face reflects face, so the heart of man reflects man. Prov. 27:19Plato, in his Apology, wrote, "The life which is unexamined is not worth living"
I encourage everyone to take the time to examine your life. Where are you now compared to last year or 5 years ago; where do you want to be next year, or in 3 years. Then WELCOME the input of wise friends; remember, Trustworthy are the bruises caused by the wounding of one who loves you, but deceitful are the kisses of one who hates you. Prov 27:6 [according to the original Hebrew text]
The most important factor in living up to your full potential is WHO is your "wise" counsel. Who are you running with? If you are going to be around turkeys, never expect yourself to fly. Find the eagles and allow "iron to sharpen iron". However, before you pull out your sword ONE thing is an absolute prerequisite! LOVE.
Not everyone has a right to speak in to your life & not every rebuke is valid. "A love relationship based on time spent together and a deep knowledge of each other, provides the oil rebukes need in order for them to be accepted." Charles Swindoll. If you think you know what is best for a person, but have never taken the time to REALLY get to know them or their family.. then keep your rebuke to yourself. No matter what your title or vast knowledge, your rebuke will come off as condemnation NOT edification. No matter how "right" you may be, never forget that the accuser of the brethren could even use YOUR tongue for his own agenda.
From my experience, the hardest thing about accountability & self reflection is the humility involved. You have to completely empty yourself of yourself, and be willing to be wrong. Ouch. Every time pride tries to grow inside of me, I find myself completely and utterly humiliated. Now I am learning to nip it in the bud. It is to my great advantage that I am kept constantly aware of how weak I can be and to keep my hands empty... for only HIM to fill.
Treasures
One by one God took them from me,
All the things I valued most,
Till I was empty-handed;
Every glittering toy was lost.
And I walked earth's highway, grieving.
In my rags and poverty.
Till I heard His voice inviting
"Lift your empty hands to Me!"
So I turned my hands toward heaven,
And He filled them with a store
Of His own transcendent riches
Till they could contain no more.
And at last I comprehended
With my stupid mind and dull,
That God could not pour His riches
Into hands already full!
~Martha Snell Nicholson
Too often during these empty, lowly times in life, the open invitation of "well meaning" bench warmers is sent out. These are the ones who sit from the side lines and critique the lives of those actually engaged in battle. There is nothing more frustrating than listening to criticism behind the cold keys of someone who only knows by THEORY what is right or wrong for you. This person has no clue what it could possibly be like in your shoes; or worse yet, one who HAS had the mishap of walking on your road but learned NOTHING but fear and doubt and wishes to contaminate you with it. From such as this, I suggest you keep your distance.
Find someone who reflects the life and manner you wish to have in your 5 year goal, and be INTENTIONAL. Contact them, speak to them, learn from them. Pay attention to HOW they think and HOW they grow and allow yourself to follow a good example. It is not about finding an icon, but rather finding a mentor. We all need one. We all need to be one.
Comments