Had the first real practice for my church Easter performance today. It was sweet, gentle, soft and delicate.. like rose petal in a field of daisies... aahhh... .NOT!.. it was a BLAST!
I have a black stick that I get to bang in to the ground and wield over my head and slam into invisible forces in the air... awesome! One of the coolest, bald, black women I have ever seen in my life is a martial artist and is teaching us to "wield the stick". As we dance. It's very aggressive, very forceful, very accelerating; and there is something wonderful about doing it with a team of strong women together. I have seen my share of battles in real life, it's such a release to express the fight in a dance.
There is one downside, however. We are playing the role of a demon horde in an Easter pageant. Something seems a little wrong about the "demons" getting to have the funnest part. Kind of twisted in a churchy kind of way. But dark characters are truly intense to play; they release something inside. It is not every day that I can look menacing at someone and get away with it. There are times when a menacing stare and a stomp can get so much junk out of that "sweet, kind, gentle.. little butterfly-lady-like-heart" of mine.
Since I don't have a man to pick on.. I suppose the dance will do :).
Peace.
I have a black stick that I get to bang in to the ground and wield over my head and slam into invisible forces in the air... awesome! One of the coolest, bald, black women I have ever seen in my life is a martial artist and is teaching us to "wield the stick". As we dance. It's very aggressive, very forceful, very accelerating; and there is something wonderful about doing it with a team of strong women together. I have seen my share of battles in real life, it's such a release to express the fight in a dance.
There is one downside, however. We are playing the role of a demon horde in an Easter pageant. Something seems a little wrong about the "demons" getting to have the funnest part. Kind of twisted in a churchy kind of way. But dark characters are truly intense to play; they release something inside. It is not every day that I can look menacing at someone and get away with it. There are times when a menacing stare and a stomp can get so much junk out of that "sweet, kind, gentle.. little butterfly-lady-like-heart" of mine.
Since I don't have a man to pick on.. I suppose the dance will do :).
Peace.
Comments