I am meeting with David today. I sold him my land in Security, but he owes me the final interest payment before I put it in his name. I told him to take his time on the final payment, that I am not in a HUGE hurry to pay the interest income tax for it. He wasn't in a big hurry for a balloon payment either. So we have been content for some time now.
But something has come up..and I am kicking myself hard. I had a friend tell me to be sure to keep the mineral rights on the land. I remember saying, "that's a great idea!"; but that is as far as it went. Now I have a sticky situation. There may be oil on the land. There are papers to be signed that will give permission for a seismic survey to test it for oil; and, since I am still the owner.. I am the one to sign.
But then what? What if they find oil? I "own" the land. But they pretty much finished paying on it minus a lump sum. It would be wrong for me to claim full ownership of the land at this point. Then again, it would be equally wrong for David to claim full ownership as well. That being the case.. a percentage must be reached. This will take wisdom to navigate. The funny thing is, I am not worried about the fairness of the split because I don't want to get "ripped off". I am concerned about the balance because it would be hurting David.. if I ALLOW him to be unfair or unjust in the measurement. The scales must be balanced for both of us to walk away with peace. I pray for the peaceful path to be revealed.
It may all be a mute point. No oil.. no worries.. but I will still establish mineral rights from now on. Lesson learned.
Days like today, I do feel small. Having to stand in front of Giant Mr. Greed and tell him to be fair or ELSE! My God will use my little stones to knock him out and into HELL!
Who am I that He is mindful of me? That He hears me, when I call? His promises are as sure as the sun rising. Some day I will have to tell you what He promised me at the Texas Ablaze meeting last year. When this comes out to the penny, my children will have such a story to tell my grandchildren of God's faithfulness and love for their grandmother.
This story will be part of the Legacy Inheritance I long to leave behind. :) sigh... sweetness.
But something has come up..and I am kicking myself hard. I had a friend tell me to be sure to keep the mineral rights on the land. I remember saying, "that's a great idea!"; but that is as far as it went. Now I have a sticky situation. There may be oil on the land. There are papers to be signed that will give permission for a seismic survey to test it for oil; and, since I am still the owner.. I am the one to sign.
But then what? What if they find oil? I "own" the land. But they pretty much finished paying on it minus a lump sum. It would be wrong for me to claim full ownership of the land at this point. Then again, it would be equally wrong for David to claim full ownership as well. That being the case.. a percentage must be reached. This will take wisdom to navigate. The funny thing is, I am not worried about the fairness of the split because I don't want to get "ripped off". I am concerned about the balance because it would be hurting David.. if I ALLOW him to be unfair or unjust in the measurement. The scales must be balanced for both of us to walk away with peace. I pray for the peaceful path to be revealed.
It may all be a mute point. No oil.. no worries.. but I will still establish mineral rights from now on. Lesson learned.
Days like today, I do feel small. Having to stand in front of Giant Mr. Greed and tell him to be fair or ELSE! My God will use my little stones to knock him out and into HELL!
Who am I that He is mindful of me? That He hears me, when I call? His promises are as sure as the sun rising. Some day I will have to tell you what He promised me at the Texas Ablaze meeting last year. When this comes out to the penny, my children will have such a story to tell my grandchildren of God's faithfulness and love for their grandmother.
This story will be part of the Legacy Inheritance I long to leave behind. :) sigh... sweetness.
Comments