This is a post of what the rain looked like on the ranch during Ike. It's not as fierce on camera, but live and in person you could actually hear the crackling sound of trees falling during the night. Overall, it was a memorable experience. I was surprised by the damage though. I had NO IDEA in my safe little spot in the country what the rest of Houston was going through.
After the power was out and the generators were going. It became apparent that someone would have to find an open gas station soon. After a few phone calls, I found a friend with the internet and he scouted out Bryan College Station to be the closest place to find gas. The next hot spot was Huntsville. I took a picture of the 4 rows of cars going to and beyond the feeder road in front of Walmart, waiting to fill up.

Even though we had ice, water, and a generator, there was still a need for more food and supplies. While in Huntsville, we went in to the Walmart to see what was still left (I think everyone for 100's of miles knew Huntsville was the only source of power and supplies). The strangest experience was seeing empty shelves at WALMART. Too bizarre.
Fruits, Veggies and anything cold was all discarded. And the rest was scarce. But nevertheless, I watched as everyone ONLY got what they needed. There was no hording or panic. If there were only 2 things on the shelf someone would only grab one to leave something for someone else. I was impressed and really touched. There was a strong sense of well being and trust in God. The atmosphere was really beautiful during this time; despite the destruction outside.I found a few fun things to do with kids when there is no tv or video games. Matilde, Caleb and I hiked in the woods, rode the 4 wheeler, played at the creek, built a bonfire, played with bugs, built with dominoes, pet the horses, cows AND the bull. And I even got to finish a book I have been longing to finish for a long time now.







As time went on, concern did settle in. Over 2 weeks of no power, learning to bath from a basin of REALLY cold water, and NEEDING things to be normal again.
I did drive to work in my powerless building for a week. It was hot and stuffy inside, but the trips in the dark to the pitch black restrooms made me feel like a little girl sneaking around places I did not belong. But, fortunately, I have manual work that can be done that requires NO power. I managed to get a lot of things caught up during that week.
But to express the greatest adventure of all during my Ike experience. I would have to say, was hiking through the woods with a 22 pistol in my bag, searching for a runaway bull; calling out, "MOO, MOO!" and getting EXCITED at the sight of manure. We found that bull, and it was chased back home by 4 wheelers. Now, how often do you get to do a thing like that!

Comments