
When I worked as sushi restaurant manager, I had to be all smiles and develop a "regular customer" base. I remember how shallow it felt. Even though part of me wanted to know the people, I knew I NEVER really would. But it was my JOB to make them feel welcome and like I really cared about their lives and their families and it became my "job" to know all about them.However, when I quit the job and started working in accounting at my current place of employment; I did not stay in touch with anyone,nor was it expected that I should. None of it was REALLY real. It was just business and marketing.
I wonder sometimes if this is how a minister feels. He has to develop regular "customers" too, doesn't he? How much of ministry is a "job" and how much of it is an actual connection between believers? When I see people "in the ministry", I often catch myself wondering if I should really bother being friends with them, or will the relationship be simply a sociological facade developed according to contemporary expectation and performance required by the ever "churched" christian community? I hate to overlap church and business; but if I want to know someone, then I must be willing to spend time with them (and vice versa); otherwise, it's all smoke, mirrors, and marketing games. Nevertheless, it seems to me, it's a game they MUST play (not too different from my management experience); for that, they have my compassion.
When it comes to Jesus and my family.. I PREFER to keep it real, but I just wonder if I am being realistic. I know for many, it is authentic and for you, I am grateful :D
Comments