
Last night was my second day to return to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The exercise was incredible! I have found since I have lost some weight, I am alot less winded and can ACTUALLY enjoy the cardio part of class. We learned about breaking free from the north south mount and to switch it in to a dominant position.
To me Jiu Jitsu is alot more than just exercise and fighting. It is a chance for me to physically work out what I want to see my spirit do when it is engaged in warfare. When I am penned, I WILL get out. When I am choked, I WILL get out. When I have someone much bigger than me trying to overpower me and keep me from getting where I need to go... I WILL overcome. For me the sport, is healing and makes me feel strong enough to take on the giants I have to face in my every day life.
Noteworthy moment: When I grappled with Sarah, she had my right leg at half guard. What did I do? I pulled my left leg up and had my ankle at her neck and was pushing down on her shoulder trying to break free, maintain a dominant position and to keep my balance at the same time.. even though she ended up with the upper hand in the end. It was the first time I have ever done the splits on top of another person (I had NO IDEA I could do such a thing!). But grappling is full of surprises. You end up doing things you never thought you could before. You end up stretching out further and going farther, than you ever would, if it wasn't for the battle. This is why the battle is good. This is why I am grateful for the trials of life. If it wasn't for the fight, I would have no reason to stretch myself so much.. I would have no reason to learn and grow stronger.
cherry on top: I did get my tap though. I penned Shelly with a Kimura submission from the side. That was therapeutic bliss :D
Comments