I’ve been using my sick days to try to grow and learn despite feeling incapacitated. I just finished this book.
Here is some of the take aways from the read:
Characteristics of a Toxic Work Setting:
1) hidden agendas characterise communication and decision making. Issues are not addressed openly.
2) departments seldom work together to reach shared goals
3) leaders have the pattern of saying one thing and doing another
4) everyone feels pressured to make things look good.
5) the managers view people as there solely to get tasks done with little interest in getting to know them personally.
6) supervisors or managers manipulate team members through embarrassment or anger
7) apathy, cynicism and a lack of hope mark the overall work environment
8) rules and procedures are largely ignored
9) employees sense little accountability for their actions and decisions
10) people are used for the organisations benefit and discarded when no longer considered useful.
- The more items checked indicate a more toxic environment
I feel like it’s pretty safe to conclude that we have our work cut out for me.
Making the personal decision to join efforts with our regional director’s 2030 plan is not an easy one. Not many of us will even voice it, much less look at the necessary efforts that will be needed to actually REALISE it.
However, I accept the challenge and truly want to see it come to fruition. Goals that work toward becoming healthier, whether in body or institution, is always worth pursuing.

Comments