Skip to main content

Hierarchy or Equality? What does it matter?



I recently had a discussion with my husband concerning God's order and hierarchy.


We discuss the equality of husband and wife. Of course, he believes that just as there is a hierarchy within the Trinity itself, that there is also a hierarchy within the marriage. I am, in no way, equal to him as my husband. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that becoming a wife meant that I am now a second class citizen to my OWN life!

So, of course, I ask... does that mean I am inferior? because I am female?

NO (I was so relieved to hear), apparently I am not inferior... he is just greater (just as the Father is greater than the Son). Therefore, I am to be subject to him and to obey him (just as Jesus did only what He saw the Father doing). What it boils down to is... he has the final say, and I must obey (even if I believe he is wrong - or going against natural law).

I know many people go along with this, so why can't I just get with the flow? Some days it is unfortunate that God gave me a mind that can think independently (so often misunderstood and called "rebellious", when I am just actually guilty of critical thought). This mind of mine, not only can not see myself as "less than" my husband... I can not see Jesus as "less than" the Father either. 


Side note (and why I believe so many wives blindly obey their husbands):
Here is the opportunity for easy escape of all personal responsibility (is it not)? At this point, I can go against my own judgment and say "I must obey my husband" (robot arms in full  motion) and not have ANY consequences.. right? WRONG... Just as Sapphira went along with her dear husband Ananias.. she died for it, so will ANY woman be held accountable for not doing the right thing no matter what. 


But how dare I argue? Especially against the "great theological" minds of today?



After all, listen to Dr. Tony Evans:


1 Corinthians 11:3, Paul lays out this principle of God’s hierarchical relationships in a much broader context: “I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.”There is even a hierarchy in function within the equality of the Trinity, because Paul said, “God is the head of Christ.” That’s why, when Jesus was on earth, He was obedient to the Father and said He would only do the Father’s will. God works through a chain of command even within Himself in order to accomplish His plan and program in history."
Side Note: It is always such a thrill when preachers create a entire standard of living from one verse

Or these modern Evangelicals:


“The Father is the authority of Christ, and always has been…There is no Holy Trinity without the order of authority and submission” (Owen Strachan and Gavin Peacock). “I hold to the eternal submission of the Son to the Father” (Wayne Grudem).  “Today debates over whether the Son submits eternally to the Father have been wrapped…relations of authority and submission do indeed exist among the persons of the Godhead” (Christianity Today, Oct. 10, 2008). 
Maybe it's because I know... DEEP DEEP down inside.. that the modern church has drifted so very far from it's origin, that it can hardly be recognized. If I had to choose between the "theology" of the 21st century and that of the 3rd - 16th century believers (Orthodox Christianity)... I would believe the former was less polluted than the latter. 

Here are some examples of the stance of the early church concerning the equality found within the Trinity.



I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of light, very God of very God” (Nicene Creed)

 “In this Trinity none is afore, nor after another; none is greater or less than another” (Athanasian Creed). 

“Father, Son and Holy Spirit exist ‘in an inseparable equality of one substance’” (Augustine). 

“We believe with all our hearts and confess with our mouths that there is a single and simple spiritual being, whom we call God – eternal, incomprehensible, invisible, unchangeable, infinite, almighty: completely wise, just, and good, and the overflowing source of all good” (Belgic Confession). 

“In the unity of the Godhead there be three Persons of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son” (Westminster Confession of Faith).  

“The Scriptures manifest that the Son and the Holy Ghost are equal with the Father, ascribing to them such names, attributes, works, and worship as are proper to God only” (Westminster Larger Catechism, Q11). 

“The Son of God, the second person in the Holy Trinity, being very and eternal God, the brightness of the Father's glory, of one substance and equal with him who made the world, who upholdeth and governeth all things he hath made…” (1689 Baptist Confession) 

"If there be one God subsisting in three persons, then let us give equal reverence to all the persons in the Trinity. There is not more or less in the Trinity; the Father is not more God than the Son and Holy Ghost. There is an order in the Godhead, but no degrees; one person has not a majority or super eminence above another, therefore we must give equal worship to all the persons." (Thomas Watson)

So What Happened?


I asked my husband why Jesus was in a subordinate position to the Father. One answer was that the Father was The Creator. Yet in Colossians 1:16 ESV: "For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. John 1:3  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

These verses are describing Jesus as the creator.. whereby ALL THINGS are created BY Him, through Him and for Him. <<< nothing "less than" about that!

I think believers must be VERY wary about any philosophy or idea that devalues or takes away from who Jesus Christ truly is. 

There is also this creepy misrepresentation of the Trinity all together. Yes, Jesus DID do the will of the Father... but what we fail to perceive is that the Father also does the will of the Son and the of the Holy Spirit. They are in COMPLETE UNITY and agreement in every way. There is NO separate will between them, no separate mind or power among them. They are ONE. There was NEVER a decision made by the Father where the Son or Spirit just had to obey whether they liked it or not. The idea of functional hierarchy within the Trinity is just ludicrous.. but it is embraced by many (at least subconsciously). 

As a matter of fact, one of the major issues the Jewish leaders had with Jesus (wanting Him crucified for) was that he was making Himself equal with God (John 5:18). 


The long hard truth is...



How we see God has a tremendous effect on how we live our lives. If you see the Father as this ominous figure controlling the universe with a heavy hand, and Jesus as the subservient "rescuer" of humanity from the wrath of the Angry, Jealous, Father God. Then that view will reinforce the "lead position" or Alpha idea that ALL must be subservient to you as your heavy hand runs the "my way or the highway" machine, otherwise known as the family unit. This leadership "style" will seem "Godly" to you. When, in actuality, nothing could be further from the truth. 


What is the truth?



The truth is the trinity is not vertical but a circle. It is a beautiful circular dance where each part shares One essence, One substance, and One power. They can not be separated from one another. This is why when you see Jesus you have seen the Father. As soon as you create vertical hierarchy and subordination within the godhead, then you are creating a new deity... a pagan deity... with different wills, degrees of powers, and changing (whimsical) ideas. 


Why have we moved so far from orthodox Christianity?


What is the advantage to creating this vertical hierarchy example within the church?

Well... power  AND sheeple of course. 

As long as we can keep anyone from questioning the vertical hierarchy and thinking on an individual basis (even going so far as to expect agreement and unity in decision making), then we have control. 

And Control disguised and "godliness" is the foundation of institutional corruption. 


The Word says, where the Spirit of the Lord is.. there is Liberty. 



Even though Vertical Hierarchy may work in the military, or building a robotic, soulless culture. It also did "wonders" for the Roman Empire [emphasized sarcasm] I prefer the Circular Dance example given to us by God (the Trinity) Himself.  He has given us One Mind through the Holy Spirit. We can dance together without ruling over one another. We can be free from that curse if we so choose. This is true "Godliness" and Righteousness (Right Standing). 

For Jesus Himself said,

"I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one" John 17:22 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Snake

Once upon a time there was a serpent who was badly injured in a fight with another animal. It managed to slither away to safety but would have surely died if a benevolent man had not seen it suffering by the side of the road. The goodly man carefully wrapped the snake up and took it to his house, where he bestowed the kindest and gentlest care on the snake until it was healed and could return to the wild. Just as the man was releasing the serpent back into the grass, the ungrateful snake turned and bit him on the hand. "What did you do that for?" cried the man, who knew that the bite of this particular snake was usually fatal. "Didn't I take care of you when no one else would?" The snake shrugged (no small feat for a snake!) and replied to the benevolent--and now doomed-- man, "What did you expect? You knew I was a snake when you picked me up." We certainly know without any question that they are snakes. Time will tell if the moral of the tale is appli...

Tough Mind and Tender Heart by Martin Luther King

SERMON: A Tough Mind And A Tender Heart, by Martin Luther King, Jr. Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. (Matthew 10:16) A French philosopher said, “No man is strong unless he bears within his character antitheses strongly marked.” The strong man holds in a living blend strongly marked opposites. Not ordinarily do men achieve this balance of opposites. The idealists are not usually realistic, and the realists are not usually idealistic. The militant are not generally known to be passive, nor the passive to be militant. Seldom are the humble self-assertive, or the self-assertive humble. But life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. The philosopher Hegel said that truth is found neither in the thesis nor the antithesis, but in an emergent synthesis that reconciles the two. Jesus recognized the need for blending opposites. He knew that his disciples would face a difficult and hostile world, where they would confront the recalcitrance of...

AS I SEEK

By Cherstin Jagger Mendez I seek within the ebb and flow, In every attempt for my heart to grow. I lean into the winds to see what they say. Hoping it’s secrets, it will give away. How do you live a life to the fullest? How do you push yourself beyond….? The lead weights on my feet telling me I can’t go, Due to my age or life, without much to show. For the potential within me fights every day to get out! For the voice in my heart says I can not do without … Without the land beneath my feet, Without the sound of the trees in the wind. Without the buds that bloom and tell me there’s hope, Without the love that flows from beyond my scope. Without the connection that reminds me that I’m alive, Without your heartbeat here by my side I seek again for what I cannot see. I seek again for what’s found inside of me. I seek again for the strength to persevere, As I walk among those that this world does fear …. DEDICATED TO TDCJ CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS