"Have I been blind have I been lostInside myself and my own mindHypnotized, mesmerized by what my eyes have seen?" - Carnival by Natalie MerchantI recently took a wonderful trip with my 26 year old daughter. She is, in many ways, the best of me and more. Spending 3 months with her, I found a very strong, faithful, generous, wise, and spirit filled young woman. Not to mention, the most aesthetically beautiful woman I have ever known.
During our 24 hr + car ride, she put "Carnival" on by Natalie Merchant and told me to LISTEN... REALLY LISTEN to the words. It took me quite a bit to focus. Something about music trances me out to see images and recall memories (I hardly ever actually hear the words).
As I listened, I began to realize... I have lived these lyrics. I could feel and empathize deeply with the hypnosis of life. The false caricature that we cultivate in order to blend with society.
I realized.. this is the song of the "woke".... written so long ago. And I realized... I was also in my 20's when this song came out. I felt these words then... just as she is now.
The profound awareness of my children becoming adults walking directly in my footsteps... and getting so much further in understanding than I ever did at her age.

My daughter, Zoe Champagne

Comments