Skip to main content

The Story of Us


Yes, I married my best friend. Mendez and I have been talking and praying together for over a year. I met him on facebook shortly after my dad died and found that BECAUSE he lived so far away, I was able to speak freely with him about everything going on in my life and with the kids. We would spend hours going through the Word together and debated over just about every topic under the sun. It seemed like we wouldn't agree on hardly anything. I thought he was stuffy and uptight, and he thought I was a space cadet. But from the very start we made an Agape agreement. We would finish all of our talks and mail with the word, "Agape". The understanding was that we would not be shallow with one another but would stay friends even if it was difficult to do so.

After I finished up my internship with Winnie Banov in Harrisburg at the end of April, I took a train to New York to visit him. At the end of five days, I realized that all my excuses that made this man "not my type", went out the window. As I flew home, I realized that he was not only my type, but I was his design.

He proposed to me over the phone a couple of days after I returned to Texas. I joked with him about his phone proposal and he responded by flying down with an engagement ring. After we were engaged we went on our first date.

Then we prayed about a wedding date and I was always seeing 711. When I told him, he said his 2 favorite numbers were 7 & 12. We aimed for a July wedding. As the time approached, we could not seem to coordinate the details of a wedding between my Texas friends, his New York friends and family in Florida.

On July 11th, Mendez flew down to Texas and on the 12th, we eloped. Then we went on our second date. We spent 2 weeks together before he had to fly back to New York.
Now, we are over 1800 miles apart and are left with coordinating how to get under one roof. He wants to live in Texas, but is not comfortable with coming down without a job lined up. I have been uprooted from everything, so it is easier for Caleb and I to go up to New York for now.

Lauren is ministering with another ministry student in California. Zoe left for the University of Arkansas yesterday, and I finished up my month summer visit with Matilde in July. The kids are well secured and the timing for me to live in New York for a season couldn't be better.

Keep us covered in prayer. I see Mendez and I ministering together in a wonderful way. He is a man of incredible faith and loves the Lord. He has been preaching at his church and is an amazing Conga player. He loves music and dance and WORSHIP. This man is one of God's generals. I am so blessed to be his wife.

Hand picked and delivered by the King of Kings, he sees himself as blessed to have me too.

I am so excited about life and living!

Agape :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Snake

Once upon a time there was a serpent who was badly injured in a fight with another animal. It managed to slither away to safety but would have surely died if a benevolent man had not seen it suffering by the side of the road. The goodly man carefully wrapped the snake up and took it to his house, where he bestowed the kindest and gentlest care on the snake until it was healed and could return to the wild. Just as the man was releasing the serpent back into the grass, the ungrateful snake turned and bit him on the hand. "What did you do that for?" cried the man, who knew that the bite of this particular snake was usually fatal. "Didn't I take care of you when no one else would?" The snake shrugged (no small feat for a snake!) and replied to the benevolent--and now doomed-- man, "What did you expect? You knew I was a snake when you picked me up." We certainly know without any question that they are snakes. Time will tell if the moral of the tale is appli...

Tough Mind and Tender Heart by Martin Luther King

SERMON: A Tough Mind And A Tender Heart, by Martin Luther King, Jr. Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. (Matthew 10:16) A French philosopher said, “No man is strong unless he bears within his character antitheses strongly marked.” The strong man holds in a living blend strongly marked opposites. Not ordinarily do men achieve this balance of opposites. The idealists are not usually realistic, and the realists are not usually idealistic. The militant are not generally known to be passive, nor the passive to be militant. Seldom are the humble self-assertive, or the self-assertive humble. But life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony. The philosopher Hegel said that truth is found neither in the thesis nor the antithesis, but in an emergent synthesis that reconciles the two. Jesus recognized the need for blending opposites. He knew that his disciples would face a difficult and hostile world, where they would confront the recalcitrance of...

AS I SEEK

By Cherstin Jagger Mendez I seek within the ebb and flow, In every attempt for my heart to grow. I lean into the winds to see what they say. Hoping it’s secrets, it will give away. How do you live a life to the fullest? How do you push yourself beyond….? The lead weights on my feet telling me I can’t go, Due to my age or life, without much to show. For the potential within me fights every day to get out! For the voice in my heart says I can not do without … Without the land beneath my feet, Without the sound of the trees in the wind. Without the buds that bloom and tell me there’s hope, Without the love that flows from beyond my scope. Without the connection that reminds me that I’m alive, Without your heartbeat here by my side I seek again for what I cannot see. I seek again for what’s found inside of me. I seek again for the strength to persevere, As I walk among those that this world does fear …. DEDICATED TO TDCJ CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS